Letter from MY Project USA Staffer:
MY Project USA's Commitment to Its Purpose Helps Motivate Sami Omerzai to Continue His Community Development Work
Having had several years of direct experience in community development with several different international organizations, I can truly say that I have found MY Project USA deeply committed to empowering and supporting underprivileged communities in Columbus.
Their work focuses on providing resources, education and advocacy to individuals and families who are struggling with poverty, homelessness and other challenges. Working with such a worthy organization gives me energy and encourages me to keep going. MY Project USA works hard to provide humanitarian aid, promote social justice and address social issues – all while trying to improve the quality of life for individuals and families.
The most important thing that I have found about MY Project USA is that they provide opportunities for professional development and growth for their employees and for youth in the community.
That does not mean I have not seen heartbreaking moments, but those moments have also provided motivation to continue the fight. For example, there was a time when I saw a family of five – a single mother and her four children – that had no winter clothes and no money for Christmas presents for the children.
MY Project USA was there to help them in their time of need, and that’s something that is always true. It is why I am thrilled to continue working with this worthy organization and to help make a positive difference in the lives of those we serve.
Director of Community Development, MY Project USA
MY Project USA is Zakat-Eligible! Help Your Neighbors
MY Project USA is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization. We serve local refugees, orphans, slaves, victims of abuse and other needy and poor neighbors in the Columbus and Dayton areas in Ohio. We are Zakat-eligible because it falls into six of the eight categories of Zakat as commanded by Allah SWT in the following verse of Quran.
“Zakat expenditures are only for the poor and for the needy and for those employed to collect (zakah) and for bringing hearts together (for Islam) and for freeing captives (or slaves) and for those in debt and for the cause of Allah and for the (stranded) traveler – and obligation (imposed) by Allah. And Allah is Knowing and Wise.” (Quran 9:60)
• MY Project USA Fits 6 of 8 Criteria of Zakat •
- Categories No. 1 & 2: “for poor and for the needy” – This applies because we are helping poor local and refugee Muslim families.
- Category No. 4: “bringing hearts together” – This applies because we serve all needy people regardless of their faith, ethnicity or race. We also work with individuals that are attracted to Island and Muslims and prefer working with us to learn more.
- Category No. 5: “freeing captives” – This applies because we are addressing human trafficking, the modern-day slavery, prevention and intervention. Our focus is to free sex slaves from bondage and help them reestablish a life of their own.
- Category No. 6: “paying the debt” – This applies because we take care of families, single moms and family violence victims dealing with debts and financial instability.
- Category No. 7: “the cause of Allah” – This applies because we are protecting and empowering Muslim youth and families in America. Through our work, we are addressing drugs, gangs, violence, suicides, radicalization, homelessness and hunger through capacity-building of the individuals and the community. Through the documentation and publicity of our work, we week to address Islamophobia as well. Our goal is to preserve Islam and Muslim communities in America at its best.
Imagination + Determination = Success for MY Reading Warriors
Anything is possible with a good imagination and determination! That was the lesson during one of the latest gatherings of MY Reading Warriors.
The kids learned about entrepreneurship, discussing young people who made it far with simple, good ideas. Students then participated in a simulation in which they opened up a mock hair salon and took in clients with a limited amount of money.
MY Reading Warriors is an initiative led by youth for youth, a team of college and high school students who plan weekly programs at Eakin Elementary School to expose youngsters to books, reading, learning and, most importantly, focus on providing an emotionally safe space and mentorship for these students.
MY Reading Warriors serves 10-15 students on a weekly basis. Our team consists of the following people: Safa Mohamed, Yassmin Benhaila, Nadine Abdel Rahman, Dina Kanaan and Adam Khalifa.
MY Community Cafe:
Haven't Ordered from MY Community Cafe? Now is the Perfect Time to Eat Delicious Food & Help Feed the Hungry
Work up an appetite by watching this video from the Grand Opening of MY Community Cafe in March! If you haven't ordered from MY Community Cafe, why not? Click the button below to start your order for pickup or delivery!